I have been getting a lot of traffic lately and questions about that t-shirt braided rug I did last year (see the sidebar) and thought now might be a good time to do a fun sew-a-long (Braid-A-Long) with a braided rug as our feature! So who’s in?
And what better timing to get rid of some MORE t-shirts!!! It snowed today so I’m all for staying inside and braiding in front of the television, maybe catch up on a few episodes of the new Project Runway All-Stars!
This sew-a-long will begin NEXT Friday (the 24th of February), which should give you enough time to gather all those old t-shirts you’re not wearing and want to get rid of!
Here’s what you’ll need:
1. 15-20 t-shirts (this will give us enough rope to braid a rug about 30-36” in diameter)
2. A sewing machine (you can do this by hand if you really need to)
3. All Purpose Sewing Thread
5. Rotary Cutter Mat
6. Rotary Cutter and ruler (or straight edge, something at least 2 inches wide and 20″ long)
7. A new sewing needle, Universal (#80, or #12)
8. A clamp
That should be about it. So pull out those old running shirts, those soccer shirts, those knit scraps, that volunteer shirt you got from way back when and let’s braid!
So who’s in?