Last night was quarantine grilled pizza night. What’s better on a Friday evening home with your bestie?
I used a tried and true recipe and technique which produces a perfect crispy crust. Just top as desired!
Cathy's Grilled Pizza
Ingredients for Crust
- 1 cup Warm Water (between 105F-115F)
- 1 envelope Active Dry Yeast or 2-1/4 tsp
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- extra Flour for kneading and dusting
Optional: Kitchen-Aid mixer with dough hook, Pizza Stone
Ingredients for Toppings
- 1 jar Pizza Sauce
- Pepperoni, Mushrooms, Peppers, Olives, Onions, Eggplant…and anything else you’d like
- 8 ounces Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- Proof the Yeast. Run the tap until warm to hot water comes out. Measure 1 cup into a small bowl. Be sure the temperature is within range then add the Sugar and the Yeast. Stir to dissolve the sugar and the yeast and set aside while you prepare the flours.
- In the bowl of your Kitchen-Aid mixer (if you have another mixer with a dough hook, use that one, if not then you’ll just do this by hand, so use a big bowl that you can knead the dough instead) add the Flours and the Salt. Attach the Dough Hook to the mixer.
- By now your yeast should be bubbling, this means it’s working! Start the mixer on the lowest setting and add the yeast mixer and the Olive Oil. Knead for 10 minutes.
- At the end of 10 minutes remove the dough from the dough hook and cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise for about 45 minutes. Punch down, divide into 4 pieces and kneed each piece into a ball. Cover these balls in plastic wrap and let rest for another 30-45 minutes.
- Start Your Grill! I use a low-medium setting.
- Unwrap each ball and stretch to approximately 12 inches. You can use your fingers, toss them in the air, or do what I do and use a small rolling pin to roll them out. I usually do this right before I’m going to put them on the grill, but you can do each separately and then roll them up on a tray.
- Now let’s cook your pizza! Your pizza can cook right on the grates of the grill but lately I’ve been using a pizza stone. Place a pizza stone on the grates of the grill. Place the rolled-out dough onto the pizza stone and close the lid of the grill. Cook for about 5 minutes until the bottom is lightly browned. Flip the dough. Top with Sauce and any toppings you’d like including the cheese. Close the grill lid and cook for another 5 minutes until the bottom of the crust is browned to your liking and the cheese and toppings are calling your name.
- Remove (slide) the pizza onto a plate, slice and enjoy!
You must be logged in to post a comment.