Last night I put together the Left Upper Front including the zippered pocket. The changes I have made to the Kwik Sew pattern are the width of the pocket and the lowering of the top-stitching line that runs across the front.
Here’s the Upper Chest pocket on the Denali…
The width of this pocket is only about 1/2” wide, not the 1” width of the pattern…I marked the change on the fabric. You’ll also notice a few other chalk markings. I lowered the top-stitching line, I think it is too high and the chalk marks near the armscye are my gusset notes…still yet to come… n
So this pocket goes together fairly smoothly. Now that I’ve already sewn it in place there could possibly be some changes but for now, it’ll work.
I transfer the markings to the Pocket Lining piece…, just making sure I change the width to 1/2” in stead of that 1” from the original. Then , after matching right sides together, I sew around the opening, starting at the bottom and working my way around, back stitching at the bottom to lock the threads in place… I clip into the opening and turn the pocket lining to the inside. I sew across the little triangles to reinforce the upper and lower edges (although not entirely convinced that does anything but make it harder to square the pocket!), fold over a 1/2” flap, which covers the opening and makes a welt, press and then topstitch it all down close to the opening!
Next, the zipper gets sewn onto the pocket facing, there’s plenty of fabric to make that happen. Just center the zipper, pin and stitch. Nothing fancy needed … I secure stitch across the bottom and the top and run the raw edges through the serger. I baste along the outer edge the fleece to this contrast piece (the fleece is wrong side together with the wrong side of the contrast fabric) and top-stitch across the top along my revised chalk line…
The Lower Bottom Front is sewn to the Upper Front, edge serged and top-stitched…
Just need to do the other side now and I’ll be ready to attach the Fronts to the Back and work on the sleeves again!
More to come!
- The JamCat Fleece Project – Drafting the New Lower Front with Zippered Pockets (sewingforlife.wordpress.com)
- The JamCat Fleece Project – Installing the Lower Front Zipper (sewingforlife.wordpress.com)
- The JamCat Fleece Project – Lining the Lower Fronts (sewingforlife.wordpress.com)
- The JamCat Fleece Project – Sourcing Supplies and Stealth Reconnaissance Missions (sewingforlife.wordpress.com)
- The JamCat Fleece Project – Designing the Gusset for the Sleeve (sewingforlife.wordpress.com)
- The Next Project – The JamCat (North Face Denali Interpretation) Fleece Jacket (sewingforlife.wordpress.com)